Monday, 5 October 2015

Maternity Pinup Style - Polka Dots by Le Bomb


As promised, I am excited to get started on familiarising you with maternity friendly retro wear!

Half of what is in my closet will work for me until near the end of pregnancy, so I was excited to pull out the Miss Mabel Dress that I already owned by Le Bomb Shop! This print is also available in the Eleanor Page Dress, which I think works even better for a bump because the waist starts higher up. I will be grabbing a couple for sure!

Le Bomb does alot of shirred back dresses. They are perfect for the peak of summer when only the most comfortable of items will do, but they also have the added bonus of helping many of their dresses stretch with your tummy.

One of the biggest tips I can give on maternity fashion is this - buy maternity friendly clothing early. Here's why - your bump will probably not really require actual maternity clothing until the last trimester, so we can often get away with squeezing it into existing clothing. However, you will get more and more uncomfortable in this clothing towards the end of the second trimester, and suddenly near the end of your pregnancy you will have nothing to wear. Those of us in the pinup community tend to do most of our shopping online, and when you only have nine months of pregnancy to contend with, waiting a month or longer for clothing just won't do when you are near the end! Just get it first thing so you can be comfortable and maximize your wardrobe the whole way through.

When looking for dresses that will work for both maternity and post pregnancy, you want to look for ultra-stretchy or shirred items with enough length at the bottom to let you pull it higher as your bump grows. Most retro dresses have a waist that starts right at, well, your waist. You basically lose that waist during pregnancy as your belly expands, so being able to hoist it up over your bump instead of cutting yourself off around the middle is essential.

As you can see here, my 17 week bump isn't massive yet, but even when it grows, this dress will work without a problem. 

 Little Miss Selene and I wore our polka dot outfits to the zoo. Not gonna lie, our hats flew off about 20 times before I gave up, but they look oh-so-fashionable in photos, no?

 I've been getting requests for personal updates on myself and Selene, so here goes: on a personal level, I am struggling more with this pregnancy than the last, for sure. My husband was injured during much of the first trimester, so I didn't have any rest time when I needed it the most. Nausea was worse due to having a toddler to chase around. I found myself having to constantly shove carb-y foods down my throat to keep the nausea at bay, which led to more weight gain than I would have preferred. Having said that, I have gained 5 kilos so far at 17 weeks which is right on track with where I should be! I started at 58 and am now 63. Weight isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but keeping track whilst ensuring my baby is healthy is important to me.

I am very lucky during pregnancy - no stretch marks with Selene (though who knows what could happen this time!), no swollen feet, no excess weight gain, etc. But I retain water like a hippo, which means my thighs look like something akin to sausages. And now summer is coming up quickly here in Australia. Yay.

I am now feeling the baby kick all day long, though this one isn't as excitable as little Selene was. We aren't sure what the gender is at all, but I have mostly gone off sweets and am going through nearly a bottle of hot sauce a day, hehe.

Selene has been very, very cuddly lately. She will spend over an hour on my husband's chest just watching videos on his phone, and needs a good 20 minute cuddle first thing in the morning and straight after naps. This is a recent development, which makes me think she senses I have changed with this pregnancy and instinct is probably telling her to soak it up while she can!

She's an introverted little thing, with random burst of energy and urges for attention here and there. I can't wait to see what this next baby will be like. 


Was this post helpful to you mamas to be? Is there anything you would like to see reviewed for pregnancy? xo, Miss Betty Doll


Share:

4 comments

  1. I love the tip about using shirring to allow for bump room! My favorite go-to were baby doll dresses worn as tops this last baby around ~ paired with a comfortable pair of elastic waisted shorts it was the only way I survived summer in Canberra when my beloved dresses failed me! :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonita, what a clever idea! I swear, retro maternity style is all about the wardrobe hacks <3

      Delete
  2. I'm deeply sorry to hear that your husband has been unwell as of late and that you're not feeling like a million dollars on the health front (understandably) either, sweet Bethany. I truly hope that you'll both soon see improvements and want you to know that I'm always here if you need someone to talk to about anything.

    Tons of gentle hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you darling! I am doing a million times better now thanks to the magic of the second trimester... I'll get back to you when I have the third trimester exhaustion hehe

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig