Monday, 8 June 2015

Retro Workwear Part II: Bonsai Kitten Pussybow Tops

I have several quirks. One of my least universally appealing is probably my immature sense of humor. The word "pussybow" makes me giggle every time. Nonetheless, tops of this style are rapidly overtaking my wardrobe and I love them to bits!

I first discovered Bonsai Kitten Clothing whilst browsing hashtags on instagram a few years back. I had been looking for a pussybow top for months, but most that I found were of the very loose, button down variety. One of my favourite things about a 1950s silhouette is how beautifully it displayed a woman's shape, so flowy waists have never really been my thing.

Discovering Bonsai Kitten was a total treat. These tops are stretchy, form-fitting, ridiculously comfortable, anti-pilling and, well, adorable.

Whilst I am reviewing them as part of my Retro Workwear series, as seen in previous blog and instagram posts, I wear them casually all the time. They are super versatile!


One of my favourite details has to be the princess puff sleeves. I absolutely love how they took a top made from a simple stretch fabric, added ruching in the sleeves and a bow at the neck and voila! - you have a gorgeous top that tends to be the envy of all my modern styled girlfriends. I get stopped in shopping centres to ask where my top is from, often by sales assistants who's least expensive tops can't begin to beat the value for money these babies provide.



I wore them throughout my pregnancy and was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did they fit me all the way through to the last day, but they then shrunk almost completely back to their original size after.

They go up to an AU size 16, which is a US size 12, but they are so stretchy they could easily accommodate up to an AU size 20. I am wearing a size 8 and it fits like a glove.

I am a massive supporter of local brands, and being from the USA and living in Australia means I by the majority of my clothing from brands who make their clothing in the US or Aus. Bonsai Kitten is different in a very endearing way - instead of being made in Australia where it originates, it is made ethically through Adopta Co-op in Indonesia by widows from the Bali bombing. Knowing when I pull these tops out of their package that they have been made carefully by the hands of a sisterhood of women warms my heart.

Bonsai Kitten makes dresses, tops, pants, skirts and intimates. I can definitely see a certain Jessica of Pinup Persuasion rocking this Flamingo Top ;) The Bonsai Kitten Pussybow Top in Red that I am wearing can be purchased here.


Share:

1 comment

  1. I'm with you 110% on loving 1950s silhouettes because of how well they work on most women's figures, highlighting our sublime curves, but still leaving something to the imagination. I have an hourglass figure and would be all but lost without my 40s and 50s looks to help it shine through in ways that the overwhelming majority of modern fashions can't even begin to.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig